lone star recycling & disposal facility
Houston, TX (South Beltway)
23,700 sq ft
- The building structure houses an elevated trash tipping floor, with a tunnel at ground level. The intent is for local trash trucks to dump their loads on the tipping floor. Large front-end loaders scoop up the trash, and top load the semi-trucks located down on the ground level for long-haul transfer.
- The tunnel flooring system was structurally designed with recessed pits for the drive-scales and sloping trenches to contain the liquid waste.
- 12-inch thick concrete walls surround three sides of the tipping floor and are designed for a horizontal impact load of 6,000 lbs.
- The Owners of Lone Star Recycling & Disposal needed a Waste Transfer Station designed with an elevated, sloping structural slab. The slab required the capability of supporting 70 tons of trash over a 60’x60’ area, with no joints and no reinforcing steel in the top 3 inches of the slab on 11 feet of fill provided by the owner.
- The custom design of the tipping floor facility was achieved through numerous coordination meetings with the Owner and Structural Engineer.
- KDW designed the knee wall at the bottom of the sloped slab and the side push walls to withstand the daily impact from large front-end loaders.
- KDW designed the tunnel for semi-truck traffic, with two drive-scales and trenches for the collection of the leachate.