30-ft Deep Test Pit
800 Koomey Road,
25’-0” W x 67’-0” L x 30’-0” Deep
- The client required the ability to test their large pumps at their facility, rather than shipping them off for testing. KDW designed/built a 30-ft deep concrete pit for the client to test their oversized pumps, the largest of which will pump 350,000 gallons of liquid per minute.
- The pit has a 2’-6” thick concrete slab, 2’-3” thick concrete end walls, and 3’-6” thick concrete side walls.
- Due to the size of the hole and working on the project during the fall, we encountered quite a bit of rain and erosion of the soil on the slopes. To eliminate the issue of erosion, the KDW team installed plastic around the entire pit.
- At 30 ft below natural grade at the bottom of the pit, we installed a 30-ft long x 8-ft diameter pipe in the ground.
- The excavation of the 30-foot deep hole required proper back slope, which had to be engineered in order to maintain safety for our people to work at the bottom of the pit.
- The test pit will save our client time and money, and allow them to take on more projects.